Thursday, October 14, 2010

Charlotte Property Management Weekly: $200 Rental Application Fees- Genius?



I don’t find myself being amazed at things very often, but I have to admit I was taken aback when I saw a large property management firm change their application fee from $25 to $200.




My initial thoughts were, “who is willing to pay that?” and “how can I justify charging that much for a rental application fee?”



I don’t know why they changed their rental application fee, but I have a guess- they got way too many applications from candidates who would never qualify to rent! Their people were inundated! So they used common sense.



In general, if a company wants less people to apply, then all they have to do is raise their application price. Corporations in every industry do something like this to control demand. If they want to sell less sweaters ($50 retail), then they raise the price to $100. If they want to sell more, they lower the price to $25. Simple.



But a smaller number of applicants equal less people who may rent the house. That’s bad! Maybe… But what if the tenants are screening themselves so that the non-qualifiers don’t even bother applying? If the probable non-qualifiers know they are borderline applicants, they still may be willing to gamble away $25 on an application fee. But $200? Not very likely!



Another thing I liked is that the property management firm refunds the $200 application fee if the tenant is approved. Now, good applicants know there is no risk to applying at $200 a pop. This property management firm is using price to lower the amount of resources needed to screen applicants (by lowering the number of applicants themselves!). They are also freeing their people up to work on higher margin activity (like filling the rental properties with their smaller, but better, applicant pool).



What’s not to like? Should every firm go to $200 per rental application?



As I racked my brain to figure out why I shouldn’t raise our rental application fee to $200, I came up with several reasons:



1. Applicants who don’t qualify will get really angry; not $25 loss angry, but $200 loss angry (which could equal the money earned in several days of work). This can really stress out employees and make it so they want to work for someone who has $25 application fees and not get screamed at everyday.

2. Employees would need to be prepared to be doggedly challenged on turned-down applications. That means the tenant screening process would need to be super- tight and really easy to explain. This would also remove some (in my opinion) much needed subjectivity in the application screening process.

3. The main objective of changing the application price is to save time. Unfortunately, almost every person that calls is new to the firm. That means the $200 rental application fee will have to be explained in every phone call! I’m getting a headache just writing that.



I still think it’s a great idea; I’m curious to see how it will work in practice. I’m still a middle-of-the-road $75 rental application fee believer, but am ready to be convinced otherwise!



Brett Furniss is the President & Owner of BDF Realty (“Charlotte’s Most Innovative Property Management & Investment Company”), and Rent-To-Sell Realty (“When You Need a New Solution to Sell Your Home”) which specialize in rent-to-own (lease options) and rent-to-sell homes. His newest book, A Real Estate Agent’s Complete Guide to Representing Rent-To-Own (Lease Option) Tenants (Delight Clients, Fill Vacant Homes, and Earn $2,250* Upfront! (*Minimum!)

No comments:

Post a Comment